Saturday, January 10, 2009

What is with these photos?

Ok, so they are a little bit strange and technically they suck but they do have pretty good stories behind them. That is why I have chosen them for today.

Here is photo #1



While taking down the Christmas decorations today, Gerben and I got talking about male and female ends to the lights. I figure it must have been some sex-starved man that came up with that terminology but heck, it works! Anyways, after this brief conversation, Gerben decided to see if Emma knew what male and female meant. Obviously, she knows man and women or girl and boy but who ever says male and female to a 5 year old? No surprise, she didn't know the difference between a male and a female. After the explanation that men have penis' and women have vagina's she clued in. Anyhow, next thing I know, he is showing Emma both ends of a cord and is about to explain male and female ends. Woooo, I wasn't sure how he was planning to explain this. Now, if you are thinking what I was thinking about penis' entering vagina's, well no worries, that isn't the way he explained it. He just told her that a mans penis sticks out and so do the prongs on the male end of a cord. Phew! That explanation was just fine by me! Next time I need to relax and get my mind out of the gutter for a while!

Photo #2



Gerben gave me the giant Toblerone bar for Christmas so yesterday, I decided to dig into it. Now, in all honesty, I am not a huge chocolate eater but I decided to try this out. Honesty, I didn't like the chewy nougat in the middle. I was telling Gerben about this and he informed me that it was the nougat. I couldn't get over the way he pronounced nougat. He says "new-gat" kinda sounds like new-cat, whereas, I call it nug-at. Truthfully, I don't really know how to say it but I love to tease him about his pronunciations because from time to time the dutch pronunciations from his past can trickling into his english vocabulary. Book, is a classic world that he always pronounces a little wierd. I say, "bu-k" he says, "boo-k." It's a little thing but something that always reminds me of his dutch language roots.

2 comments:

JessicaVahl said...

It's funny how your original language sticks with you no matter how young you are when you move. Serena used to make fun of some of my odd pronunciations of words all the time. With me it's especially with words that I've only ever seen in print rather than heard aloud. I often put the emphasis on the wrong syllable but my two most notorious mispronunciations are 'scarce' and 'awry'. I used to pronounce 'scarce' as scars rather than with the long 'a'; 'awry' I pronounced as 'awr-ee' rather than 'awr-eye'. I still slip up now and then with these words but I usually catch myself just in time.

Andrea said...

Okay well I am not dutch but I say it the same way as Gerben... what does that mean?