Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Little House



As a child, one of my earliest memories of reading, was sitting at the table in Metz with my Mom reading. We were reading different books but it was quiet time that we shared. I remember reading the Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. My set of books were yellow. I have no idea what happened to my old copies of the books so I decided to order a new set from Emma's book order this month. The order came in today and Emma was so excited to get these books. I swear, she hasn't been home from school more than hour and she has already read 12 pages. Have I mentioned that she is only 5? Gerben and I are also big readers, so it's not a surprise that Emma is too. We read each and every night and are constantly at the bookstore.

7 comments:

Ellay said...

That's awesome! I love those books...such a great thing to pass on to your child/ren!

Amy Lightfoot said...

Go EMMA, have Mommy email me and you can tell me what you read about :)

Andrea said...

You have a very weird 5 year old Shanon...Are you sure she is yours???? LOL

Are kids may be a few weeks apart in age but OMG are they ever different! Xander can read along to his TAG....but that's about it. Unless he knows how to read french and I don't about it, which is quite possible!

Sheri said...

That is one of my all time favourite set of books too! Such a smart girl to be reading those at age 5! I think I was in at least Grad 3 or 4 when I read them :)

Karen E. said...

What a fabulous picture of Emma reading. Great activity for these cold days. Farmer Boy was my favourite! Metz, eh? I know where that is ;)

Girl Gone said...

Emma reminds me very very much of myself at her age. I read your blog and it's like reaching back 25 years. I had the same school issues, they moved me up a grade (for me I went from SK to grade 2), the same caution over new things (my dad has a scar on his shins from my skate blades at 3, everything! It's amazing to me!

But most of all is this post. I devoured the Little House books when I was her age. The school librarian told me I couldn't take them out because I was too little to read novels, and my Dad had to come in a read her the riot act. I just recently purchased the full set, only I got mine off ebay, and they're the original yellow ones. I used to have the blue ones.

Paint the Moon Photography said...

Beautiful photo! I'm a Little House fanatic too ... I already have a book set set aside for Adeline when she's ready to start reading. Wonderful memories!