Saturday, January 24, 2009

New Glass for my Camera

Ok, so I have been really frustrated with my camera in low light lately and would love a macro lens. Today, as a gift for my anniversary and birthday, Gerben let me go shopping for a new lens. I decided on this one for my Nikon D80.



My current most used lens is also a 18-70mm but at a 3.5 to 4.5 aperture with no macro. I am hoping this will cover the low light issues and give me an added bonus of the macro which I really want. I haven't had a great deal of time to play with this tonight but here's a few shots and for you techies that understand I will put the settings with each photo. Oh and yes, I realize my shutter speeds are still crazy low.

1. ISO 800, Shutter 1/40, F 2.8, no flash, 17mm, hand held



2. ISO 800, shutter 1/50, F 2.8, no flash, 17mm, hand held



3. ISO 800, shutter 1/125, F 2.8, no flash, 17mm, hand held



All in all, I'm pretty impressed. I definitely need to play some more to decide if this is what a need and if it is a good replacement for my current favourite as I will have to sell the one I have.

Now, on to my photo of the day. This afternoon, I took Emma skating at an outdoor rink in Cambridge. As usually, Emma was completely freaked out to begin with. She has only really skated twice before and they both started the same way. With a lot of pushing on my part and a lot of tears her part we managed to get her going. Once she finally gets her footing she is fantastic. She is full of smiles and having fun. She is just tough to convince to try new things and be brave. I chose two pics for the day to post here. They are the happy shots!


5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Great pictures. Enjoy your new lens!

Daniel said...

Hi, you asked me on my blog about what camera/lens I was using. I have a Canon 450D/Rebel XSi and I was using the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 lens.

Your pictures are very nice. Seems like you have a good lens to. Keep up the good work.

Amy Lightfoot said...

Pictures turned out really well Shannon. I am jealous, I am going to have to get one too! My excuse can be for um ...starting my own business :P yeah thats it
Love the pictures of Emma, we really did have a great time Yesterday. I can't wait to see the rest of the photos!

Erika said...

The new lens looks really neat, hope we get to see some more of what it is capable of!
Sweet photos from the skating too! I know about the convincing part, Linus is often reluctant to do new stuff, but once he is convinced to try, he'll love it.

Ellay said...

Great photos! Love the pink outfit!