Sunday, February 1, 2009

A First for Natalia

For Natalia`s 3rd Birthday, she received some money from Uncle Jarret and Aunt Sara. The deal was that we were to buy Natalia some skates and yesterday, that is what I did. I went to Canadian Tire and bought both myself and Natalia a new pair of skates. Natalia didn`t know I was going so when I got home and showed her what was in the box, she went CRAZY! She was jumping around the house yelling, "New Skates! For Me?" She was beyond excited. Unfortunately, the weather yesterday was very cold, blustery and windy. Needless to say, we had to wait until today. Today, the weather was AMAZING! Bright, sunny and a balmy +5. A perfect day to hit the outdoor rink downtown.

Natalia, Emma and I strapped on our skates, while Daddy kept his shoes on and off we went. Emma did an amazing job and in no time her confidence blossomed and she was skating around on her own with no tears and huge smiles on her face. Natalia found skating a little more difficult. She has never been on skates but she did her very best. Her little feet slid out from under her and she had trouble standing but she never cried and she did her very best. I think she will ever go again. It was lots of fun for all of us.







To me, this next photo speaks volumes. It shows me just how much fun Emma really had on the ice. It was a nice change from the screaming and crying that we usually experience.



On the way home, we stopped at Lowes to pick something up. I decided to stay in the car with the kids. We happened to park beside one of these signs and boy did it spark some questions.



How the heck to you explain to a 5 year old the point behind the stork on the sign about expectant mothers when she KNOWS where babies come from? It made for some interesting conversations and honestly, I don't think I ever gave her a straight answer. All I wanted to say was, "Some dumb idiot didn't want to tell a child that a baby is shot out of woman's vagina like a bullet in slow motion, so they just said a stork brings it." I didn't say it but I sure was thinking it. That would just have forced me to answer even more questions. She knows where babies come from and we will just leave it at that.

And last but not least, I am going to leave you with the name of a bar here in town. Say the name a few times out loud and you will see why I think it's the perfect name for a bar.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Beautiful! Looks like you guys had a great day. We're still working on getting Ava on the ice. She'll put the skates on but won't leave the house. :(

Andrea said...

LOL I still haven't got up the courage to tell Xander wear babies actually come from... Love the name of that bar thats too funny! Where did your old figure skates go? Never thought I'd see you in a pair of cheapy Canadian Tire skates. Are you putting Em in Figure Skating like her mommy? Dylan is just like Ava...puts the skates on his feet but won't leave the house.

Erika said...

Beatiful pictures from the skateing, both your girls seems to enjoy themselves! So funny with the bar-name too! :)

Paint the Moon Photography said...

Gorgeous ... Adeline just ice skated for the first time a few months ago and loved it. Of course, I had to hold her up most of the time ... so it was a serious workout for mommy! Love the sweet smile on her face!!

Hilarious bar name ... showed it to my hubby, very clever.

Don't you love those conversations ... they are so wise at such a young age. I love it when Adeline questions adults because she just knows we have got it all wrong!

Amy Lightfoot said...

Whoot Emma I am so proud of you again! Skating is so much fun. Glad to see you up on skates to Shannon :)
Natalia is growing up so fast. I bet its nice to have the fears of one child not showing in the other. You get to see both sides of the coin!
Awesome shots again shannon and Gerben (for taking the one of Shannon )

ChrissyW said...

how on earth did I miss that you had this blog?? adding it to my blog reader now - love all the pics!!