Monday, March 2, 2009

Trina Koster Workshop

Today Jen and I disappeared to Guelph for a workshop at Trina Koster's studio in Guelph. This lady actually was the photographer for Jen's wedding and did a fantastic job. This seminar was all about creativity and finding it in ourselves. It wasn't too earth shattering but we did get an opportunity to have our photos critiqued by a professional and that was wonderful.

One of our challenges was to see an object differently and try to photograph it. I immediately fell in love with her lights in the studio and they were my choice for photographing. I was thrilled with the results. I am starting to realize that I have a tendancy to prefer the play of light and dark. Especially the yellow tones of incandescent lights.




I also got the opportunity to shoot a few photos of Jen. I am pleased with the results but not thrilled. It's hard to really get into the process when you are on a time crunch. If you want to see a few of me you can check out Jen's Blog.





One of the observations that Trina had for me is that I tend to stay pretty safe in my images. She suggested trying different angles and crops as well as starting an inspiration folder. I think I am going to follow this idea over the coming weeks and see what happens.

All in all, it was a great day.

2 comments:

Sheri said...

Looks like you guys had fun! The pics are great! I need to take a few courses myself, how did you guys find out about the ones you've been taking?

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Shannon! My favourite is the one covering my old, haggard face for obvious reasons that have nothing to do with you. ;)