Friday, March 20, 2009

Fantastic Class today!

Well I must say that I am totally impressed with my photo class today. It was so nice and inspirational to hang out with a really awesome photographer and pick her brain.

She taught me a million things about metering and how to get it right. Especially with my D300 as it seems to handle it completely different than my D80 did. We worked on how to see in black and white and how to find your inner creative being.

What I really need to work on is learning to ignore my inner critic and just let the process happen. Relax and enjoy what I am shooting and not let the technical get in the way of the fun parts of photography.

The exercises today were all about relaxing and finding my creative space and what speaks to me. It was actually really neat. I am a huge fan of conscience relaxation and that is one of the techniques that she used.

My assignment for the coming weeks is to use crayons creatively. They are bright and colourful which I LOVE but they also make great black and whites and teach you about the tones you can get in black and white photography. These are a few of my shots from tonight and I must say that I am in awe at how well the crayons converted to black and white.






The other two photos that I have to share are of a ravine near Trina's studio. I really like how the shots turned out. Not sure what it is that I like about them, all I know is that I do and that is an encouraging feeling.


6 comments:

Jennifer said...

These look great! You should check out a picture Jason Roberts did of crayons. It was really cool and it was the same idea with them all arranged by colour.

Karen E. said...

Looks like you had fun yesterday Shannon. You have some interesting (the ravine) shots and some creative ones too. Now, let that critial pary of you take wings and enjoy your new camera.

Unknown said...

wow great idea!

Paint the Moon Photography said...

Beautiful shots, Shannon! I love the cool crayon shots and beautiful black and whites. I really would love to find someone to tutor me in the area too ... how did you find her?

Sheri said...

Great shots, Shannon! The crayon ones are really neat!

Jessi F said...

Very cool Shannon! TFS