Monday, March 16, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!!

So today is my birthday! I'm a whopping 32 years old! Now that's hard to believe seeing as it feels like only yesturday I graduated from High School! For my birthday, my fantastic husband decided to buy me the Nikon D300! I got it on Saturday and have had some time to play with it but not as much as I would like. I am actually finding it a bit frustrating at times. I am sure this is because I know my D80 inside out and backwards. The D300 is a different camera with a different sensor and layout and of course different quirks. For tonight, I am just going to throw at you a few on my photos using the D300. Nothing spectacular but they are a start.

If anyone out there in blogland has some tips on the 300, I would LOVE to hear them.

I think this first photo of the tree is my favourite of all. It's a little strange and contrasty and that's what I love about it.


One of the things Gerben and the girls love to do is head to Toronto and spend the afternoon watching the airplanes come in. I tend to avoid this and let it be their activity, as it does nothing for me, but on Sunday I tagged along because I thought it might be a great opportunity to practise with my camera.



Airplane watching is very serious business in my family. I am sure you can tell that by the look on Natalia's face. She goes balistic every time she sees a new airplane turning in for final approach.

My favourite aircraft shot of the day was this one



Today I took the girls to the park so that I could get in more practise. All in all, things went ok. I am really thrilled with the speed of the camera but I was really struggling with blowouts at times. On my D80, I almost always used spot metering and underexposed by .7 to prevent or help alleviate that. I haven't gotten a handle on the D300 yet so it was beginning to get pretty frustrating. Gerben figures it's because I am putting too much pressure on myself to learn this camera quickly, as I am starting my private lessons on Thursday and I don't want to look like an idiot. He's probably right!!

Here's a few shots from today. Like I said, I like them but I don't love them. I am definetly still learning this camera.





4 comments:

Karen E. said...

You are one spoiled wife ;) Awesome gift Gerben! Hope to see your new treasure today Shannon. How quickly did you get great pictures with your "old" camera? patience Shannon. Patience!

Erika said...

Great pic of the tree! Unfortunately no tips on the camera, I'm a Canon-girl. :) Seems as you are doing great so far.
Love the pics of Gerben and the girls plane spotting! I'd love to do that sometime. There is something so fashinating with planes, the bigger the better. :)

Sheri said...

What a great birthday present! Loving all the new shots!

Jennifer said...

Happy belated birthday! Congrats on the new camera.