Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Program mode is my friend, not my enemy!

Ok, so in the 2 plus years that I have owned an dSLR I have really only ever shot in either aperture priority or shutter priority and on occasion I have used manual. I am beginning to learn that if I am only chasing the kids around that I need to relax and trust program mode. It actually does a pretty nice job. All these photos, with the exception of Emma were taken using program mode. I am no longer a "program mode snob!"

This first group of pictures is for Aunt Karen. She pointed out that there is some McDougall in Natalia. That's the part that sticks out her tongue every time she concentrates on something! I'm pretty sure my brothers used to do that a lot while playing sports.




Today, I took Natalia to the park at the school just before we had to pick Emma up. I must say that this is one of the most pathetic parks in all of this city. The worst part is that the best slide for the little kids is the most treacherous to get to. Here is Natalia scaling the bars to get to the slide.

Stupid park! No wonder we never go here.



I have one last photo to share today.

Emma went to a Hannah Montana themed birthday party over the weekend. Up until this she had absolutely no use for Hannah Montana. I guess now that she knows her friends like Hannah Montana, she suddenly does too! It's crazy how kids must follow what their peers do. I remember being just like that.

The crazy, ugly sunglasses were part of the goodie bag that she got at the party and I must say, she LOVES them. I personally think they are dorky but this is coming from a woman with NO style.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Good to hear you are learning to like program mode. Unless I have something specific in mind or I am using my studio lights, I don't use manual. I shoot a lot in Av and the rest in P mode. I've always been of the mind that the camera makes the right choice most of the time and if it doesn't, you can always override it or fix it later in photoshop. Love your pictures for today! I LOVE the sunglasses! Very cool.

Erika said...

I love the p mode on my camera, it really fit my taste on how I want the pictures to look. Actually I spend far more time deciding which lens to use. Then again there are these special occasions that call for a specific aperture or speed.
Lovely photos! Natalia seems to have fun on the playground, even though it sure looks a little impractical. =)

Karen E. said...

Thanks Shannon for posting a picture of that wee munchkin being a "McDougall". I love it! I love Emma's sunglasses too. Emma, can I have them when you no longer like them, please?