Monday, October 8, 2007

That couldn't have been my child!



Oh my goodness! What a day I have had. I have 2 extremely cranky kids on my hands. Kelly and I decided yesturday that we would take the kids to the park today so they could play and burn off some energy. The weather channel said it was 36 degrees out with the humidity and it was GROSS! The kids played really well most of the time at the park but it didn't take Emma much to get upset and have meltdowns. I decided to give Emma her 5 minute warning and she kept yelling at me that she wanted 6 minutes and not 5. Being the stubborn mommy that I am and having had to deal will many, many arguments already today I decided no way. It was five minutes. Needless to say she flipped out so I told her that we were leaving then and she LOST it. I had to drag her to the car with her yelling, "Get you Bloody Hands off of Me! I hate you! I don't love you!" She screamed in my face, she kicked me and she slapped me. It was brutal! I have never seen a tantrum like this is my life. It took both me and Kelly to force her into her carseat and she yelled at me most of the way home. When I told her that I was going to call Daddy and tell him about her behavious she flipped out even more. She kept yelling, "No, He won't love me anymore!" Which is totally not true and I have no idea where this comes from. She even continued this tantrum at home while threatening to hide on me so that I couldn't find her. It was rough to say the least. I had to call Gerben to let him know what happened and while on the phone with him I had a complete "mommy meltdown." It's so hard when you feel like you have no control over your child. No one wants to be kicked and hit and told that your not loved. I realize she is only 4 but I can tell you this. I hope to never experience another tantrum like that. We ended up spending most of the afternoon as far away from each other as possible. Emma played upstairs on the computer and I watched TV. It was much safer that way. I can't wait for Daddy to get home. Saturday can't come fast enough!

By the way...this pictures at the top of this post were taken before the meltdown. So she was happy for a very brief part of the day

2 comments:

Amy Lightfoot said...

Hey Shannon, I totally understand how you feel. Madison is classic for pulling stuff like that. Bekah has said it too..I don't love you anymore Mommy...just because I have told her NO! That from a 2 1/2 year old.
To add the heat on top of her already cranky, it was a lethal combination. You did the right thing too by giving her space and you space. At 4 they try to become more independant trying to find themselves. So meltdowns are a surety. They aren't babies anymore but they aren't big enough to do much else. Hope today is going much better for you.
Why was Gerben at work on a holiday?

Andrea said...

On no! Sounds like a rough day. But I think you handled everything well. I have Mommy meltdowns all the time, nothing to be ashamed about :D